Worship Times: Sunday @ 8:00 and 10:45 am & Wednesday @ 7:00 pm

   
     Office: 816-452-9113
Tap To Call

Timeline of Holy Cross   arrow

History Timeline

1951

  • May 15 – Holy Cross was chartered with the Mission Board of the Western District of the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod.
  • May 20 – 96 people attended the first service held at North Kansas City High School. Holy Cross was under the direction of Rev. W.T. Rossnagel and assisted by various pastors affiliated with the Missouri Synod.
  • December 12 – Negotiations were completed for the purchase of a four-acre tract of land to build a church, parsonage and school.

1952

  • September 14 – Rev. Edward C. Pardieck of Farmington, Missouri was installed as the first pastor of Holy Cross.

1953

  • March 8 – Ground breaking for the original building and parsonage was held. The building was designed by Herbert Anset at a cost of $100,000. Membership totaled 200.

1954

  • February 28 – The original building and parsonage were dedicated. The cost of the two buildings was approximately $120,000. At this time there were 186 communicant members and 310 members.

1955

  • September 8 – Kindergarten classes were started.

1957

  • September 15 – Ground breaking for the new church building was held. The parish now numbered about 800.
  • October 10 – Christ, Platte Woods was chartered.

1958

  • October 26 – The new Holy Cross church building was dedicated. The cost of the building was approximately $300,000; however, several designed features were not added because of cost. The stained glass behind the altar was one such feature. The parish now numbered 540 communicants and 850 members.

1960

  • February 28 – St. Stephen’s, Liberty, Missouri was chartered.

1961

  • May 7 – The 10th Anniversary service was held with Rev. W.T. Rossnagel as the speaker. The parish numbered 638 communicants and 1,150 members.

1963

  • April 16 – Pastor Pardieck announced his plans to retire.
  • October – The Sunday School attendance reached a peak of 576, including teachers, Sunday School children and adults.
  • November 1 – Pastor Pardieck officially retired.
  • November 10 – Rev. Francis E. Roschke of Cape Girardeau, Missouri was installed as the second pastor of Holy Cross.

1964

  • June 28 – Robert Eggold of Hales Corner, Wisconsin was installed as the first principal of Holy Cross Lutheran School.
  • August 31 – First day of school was opened with 33 students.

1969

  • Franklin J. Fischer of St. Charles, Missouri was installed as the second principal of Holy Cross Lutheran School.

1971

  • Preschool was added.

1973

  • July 15 – The installation of Rev. Richard A. Wagner of Lansing, Michigan as Associate Pastor took place.

1976

  • May 16 – The 25th Anniversary celebration was held. The parish numbered a little more than 1,500 baptized members and 1,000 communicant members.

1979

  • June 10 – The remodeled chancel and organ were dedicated with Paul Manz as organist.
  • September 23 – The new school facility was dedicated. The sweet gum tree in front of the entrance was planted.
  • November 18 – Rev. Richard Bruenger from Snyder-Scribner, Nebraska was installed as Associate Pastor.

1980

  • Seventh grade was added to the school.

1981

  • Eighth Grade was added to the school. The Endowment Fund was established.

1984

  • June – Doctoral Investiture of Rev. Dr. Francis Roschke.

1985

  • March 31 – James M. Reidl was installed as the third principal of Holy Cross Lutheran School. The Learning Center was added.

1987

  • October 11 – Rev. Dr. Francis Roschke accepted a call to become the pastor of Trinity Lutheran Church, La Junta, Colorado after 24 years of service at Holy Cross.

1988

  • August 7 – Rev. Richard Bruenger was installed as the Senior Pastor.

1989

  • May 7 – The 25th anniversary of Holy Cross Lutheran School was celebrated.
  • July 2 – Rev. James Hahn of Wray, Colorado, was installed as Associate Pastor.

1990

  • The congregation parish renewal began. Young at Heart was organized.

1991

  • Membership – 1,301
  • Communicant Members – 967
  • School Enrollment – approximately 200.
  • May 19 – The 40th Anniversary celebration of Holy Cross Lutheran Church.

1994

  • August – Ron Bork was installed as Principal of Holy Cross Lutheran School.

1995

  • June – Rev. James Hahn accepted a call to Our Savior First Lutheran Church in Granada Hills, California.
  • August – The portable building for a school classroom was obtained.
  • November – Rev. Richard Bruenger accepted a call to St. Paul Lutheran Church in Clay Center, Kansas.

1996

  • August – The Middle School (grades 6-8) campus was moved to the Englewood Baptist Church location.

1997

  • January 5 – Rev. Mark S. Nuckols of Ft. Campbell, Kentucky was installed as Pastor.
  • March – The LCMS Satellite Service began operation.
  • April – 150th Anniversary of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.

1998

  • July 19 – Rev. Mark S. Nuckols was installed as Senior Pastor.
  • July 19 – Duane R. Osterloth of Ft. Wayne, Indiana was ordained and installed as Assistant Pastor.
  • December – Holy Cross’s web site was established: www.hclckc.org

1999

  • May 13 – Doctoral Investiture of Dr. Ron Bork.
  • December – LCMS produced the program, “Just in Time for Christmas,” which was broadcast through the Odyssey Network on cable.

2000

  • The Northland Lutheran School Association was chartered.
  • October 8 – Rev. James L. Wiese was installed as the Administrator of the Northland Lutheran School Association.

2001

  • Total Membership – 1,159
  • Communicant Members – 870
  • School Enrollment – approximately 220
  • Early Childhood Program – approximately 99
  • May 20 – 50th Anniversary celebration

2003

  • December – Rev. Mark S. Nuckols accepted a call to St Paul Lutheran Church, Austin, Texas.

2011

  • August – Rev. Richard Boland celebrates 25 years in ministry, retires and moves to Colorado.
  • Total Membership – 625
  • Communicant Members – 870

2013

  • May – The church website is revamped

2014

  • May – Rev. Frank Frye was installed as Senior Pastor.

2017

  • March – Rev. Mark Stirdivant accepted a call to Good Shepard Lutheran Church, Yucaipa, California.